Friday, May 7, 2010

When my kids are around, I can be sick as long as I want. They take care of me very nicely, ask how I am feeling every moment, and I’m just thinking if I shouldn’t lie, and make this laziness time a bit longer. I’m really surprised by their behavior. The dinner is cooked on time, the house is clean, and I can even hear the sounds of the washing machine. Wow, I didn’t expect that. I think I’ll get “sick” more often, so that they can show what nice children they are. Usually it’s me who makes sure they have everything on time, and because I’m quite hermetic, I don’t like to be disturbed in my house jobs. So, in these conditions, my kids don’t have a good opportunity to develop such habits. But this is actually very important. Everything is shaped in the childhood: what the children see in their family is later carried on by them to their own “nests”: the atmosphere, traditions, behavior towards the family members, or even the way of cooking. Satya is already cooking like me. Maybe she has her favorite, but generally always asks how to prepare the given dishes, and I can already see her in the future cooking all the meals we have in our family.
Yes, my week of sick leave hasn’t made any harm to anyone yet.

As I’m writing about the resourcefulness of my kids, I remember a funny story that happened a few years ago, when Satya was 10 and Sanatan 8. We lived in a city next to the sea, where the trees bore many fruits in summer, including white and black mulberries. My kids decided to pick many of those mulberries to plastic cups and they will try to sell them on the nearest market place. With great passion and determination, they picked a bowl of the berries, took the plastic cups, a piece of paper with the price on it, a folding table from the basement, and… went to trade.  I was just dying of curiosity what was happening there, but as I couldn’t stop doing my duties, I just waited for them to return. When they came back, their excitement reached its climax – it wasn’t a bummer for them that they only earned a few pennies, that almost no one wanted to buy their “goods”, and they were therefore “forced” to eat all of the goods up.
The most important thing was the experience that they gained: money doesn’t just lie on the street; one has to work hard to get it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment